Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The People Behind the Craft: Yad L'Kashish

Hi!  I know its been a long time since I've last posted anything and I think it's time that you find out what I've been doing all these long weeks!  Well, let me start you off with a tour.  For the second time since I've been here, I went to Yad L'Kashish, or, lifeline for the elderly.  This time, I went on a tour.  We got to see the elderly working away at their arts and crafts.  There are about eight workshops where different people do and make different things.  I saw people painting challa (the special food for the Sabbath) covers and jewelry.  I learned that 70 percent of the people that work there are Russian.  Cool.  I loved to see the elderly hard at work.  Yad L'Kashish helps the elderly that work there earn money, as well as gives them something to do during the day.  So, I have very few pictures for this post since my dad didn't want to be rude and take pictures without the people's permission.  So, here they are!



That last picture is of me, standing in front of a sign that says on the bottom:  Do not forsake me when I grow old, when my strength fails, do not abandon me.  I thought it was beautiful and you may too.  Yad L'Kashish is a must-do if you ever have the chance to come to Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment